home                 contact me                 why embrace?                 my main blog                
.....

Saturday, August 20, 2011

a sign of hope [day 232]

a sign of hope [232]

An early morning, driving, serving others, washing dishes, drinking lots of water, moving boxes: this is what my day consisted of. I went to Joplin for the day to help out -- even though it's almost been three months since the tornado hit, there's still so much to do. The heat, the flies, the hard work, the dirt, the heat, and oh, did I mention the heat? was all so worth it after seeing the gratitude of everyone. In hindsight, I regret not taking any photographs (I know, what kind of a photographer am I?), but it just didn't feel right at the moment. While I would have loved to document it with images, it was good for me to just remember every detail of this without the aid of anything else. There's such an amazing feeling after helping people -- it makes me want to do it all the time.
On the drive home, there was the most beautiful sunset. It seemed as if it was a sign of hope, that everything is going to be okay. Yes, so much was lost in such a short amount of time, but progress is being made and order is gradually being restored.
But for now, there's a hot shower and soft bed calling my name...

-carlotta

6 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful. the sky always amazes me. i don't think there could be anything more breathtaking than a sunset.
    <3katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. What a sweet message. The joy of serving has no rival! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure I took this exact.same.photograph the other night! I love when the sunlight streams through the sky and the clouds like that. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up 20 minutes from Joplin. It warms my heart about you helping my neighbors. Sometimes when I have my camera on- I am not as emotionally connected. I am more focused on settings and light. I think it is a good reminder to sometimes burn a memory from emotion rather than the image. Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete